The Lindamoor Improvement Association
The Lindamoor Improvement Association (LIA) plays a strong and active role in maintaining a sense of community in Lindamoor. Over eighty percent of the 80 Lindamoor households are members in a typical year, plus 6 to 8 associate members who live outside the community.
LIA is governed by its bylaws which provide for a ten member Board of Directors, including a Director of Marine Affairs (our "Harbormaster"). The Board meets as needed. The general membership meets every March. In addition, there are two annual social events bringing together all members.
LIA is a voluntary organization classified as a Community Association under the rules of the IRS. LIA was formed by a group of civic minded residents in the early 1960s. The earliest documented record is from 1963. Although dues have increased since then, they remain modest. LIA incorporated in 1971 as a Maryland non-stock corporation. This was probably done to support an effort to gain corporate ownership of the extension of Sleepy Hollow Lane down to what was, in 1947, the waterfront.
LIA received a deed to the extension of Sleepy Hollow Lane in 1973 from the original subdivision consortium. The LIA property starts about 30 feet above the end of the Sleepy Hollow pavement put down by the county when it assumed responsibility for the roads in Lindamoor on the Severn sometime in the 1970s. Because the waterline receded due to the siltation that is omnipresent in the Chesapeake Bay, an elevated causeway was constructed between the 1947 waterline and the present waterline. A community pier has been in place at the end of the walkway since the 1960s.
The path along the LIA property, the elevated causeway to the community pier and the pier itself (pictured to the left) are maintained through the dues and voluntary donations of LIA members as well as the sweat equity of volunteer workers. The water around the pier was dredged and the pier professionally rebuilt in 2008.
There are two other community paths to the Cove of Cork and one to the Severn River. Although those paths are not owned by LIA, the association has been instrumental in maintaining and protecting the paths as rights of way in common. The two paths leading to the Cove of Cork end at the community's secondary, mid-Cove pier. Limited space is available for dinghies and small boats at each of the piers. There is also a community mooring field in the Cove which has been registered with the Corps of Engineers. Moorings and spaces at the piers are allocated by the LIA Harbormaster in accord with established Rules for Administration of the Cove of Cork.
For many years, LIA has taken the lead in collecting funds and arranging for dredging the entrance to the Cove when needed. Maintaining a navigable entrance has a major positive effect on the property values within this water-privileged community. Most residents in the community, and recently residents of Acorn Drive, have been forthcoming with donations for this important activity.